Friday, November 2, 2012

in brief

Just a quick round-up, as things are rather a mess around here. Major appliances dying, dogs I have come to love through the blogosphere passing away, and loved ones getting awful medical news. Also I kind of hate Halloween, even though dressing the dogs up is always entertaining and once I get outside with them on the actual night I enjoy the walk (rather than deal with the total chaos every time someone rings the bell and the little children who burst into hysterical tears when they see giant eager dogs, I leave the house dark and walk the dogs around town until trick-or-treating is over). So it's been a rough week.

I read:

Case Histories, by Kate Atkinson. I have decided I love Atkinson, and I loved this despite the fact that she always kills dogs. In this one she introduced a very, very old dog whose owner had just died, so you know bad things are coming. And you would not be wrong.

Below Zero, another C.J. Box mystery. This wasn't his best. It distracted me, but I was a little disappointed.

Ned Kelly and the City of Bees, by Thomas Keneally. This was a crazy-pants children's novel from Australia about a boy (not this Ned Kelly; if it had been that is really the only way the book could have been weirder) who is supposedly in a coma but actually living with bees. I don't know how else to describe it. It's very reminiscent of the book the characters in Angels & Insects are writing.

I wish for love and hope for all those who need some, and a good weekend full of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment